Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Favorites

Chad's been reading to Cady since before she was born so it should come as no surprise that we have LOTS of children's books at our house. One of my absolute favorites is The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. It's a fabulous story about a princess who saves the prince after he is captured by the dragon.

But, instead of slaying the dragon or engaging in some other sort of ridiculously violent show of strength, the princess outsmarts the dragon. And, instead of marrying the prince and living happily ever after, the princess stands up for herself to the unappreciative prince and lives (presumably) happily ever after without him. It's a fun read. And, as alluded to, a nice twist on the age-old love of princess stories. I'm thankful for it because somehow my daughter is fascinated with princesses even though she's never seen a princess movie (unless you count the little bit of Mulan she sat through) or worn princess clothing or had a princess doll. And yet, she told us a story Sunday on the way to church about a brave princess that was going to save Jesus. I can get on board with that kind of princess...you know the ones who actually think and DO things.

1 comment:

Ashley Smith ~ The Primary Source said...

I LOVE this book! It is one I make sure to do as a read a loud in my classroom.

Swidget 1.0 2