Friday, July 08, 2011

Friday Favorites

I'm sure that I share many of my "favorites" with my friends (many of whom read my blog) and this week will be no exception. I know that many of you, like me, are enamored with Anne Lamott. If you like to read, but have no idea who this woman is, read something by her NOW. She is hilarious and brilliant and deep and insightful and challenging all at the same time. I don't always agree with her, but that's half the fun. I love that she makes me think. She has an unusual faith story that she was brave enough to share and I love her for it. And, well, she's just an amazing writer.

She has written seven novels, five non-fiction works, and (I'm sure) countless articles, blogs, etc. I haven't read any of her novels yet, but I've read all 5 of her non-fiction works. Yes, they are that good. I recommend Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life to anyone who writes or wants to write. And, Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year is an amazingly honest account of the joys, hardships, and everything in between that comes from parenting.

Lamott recently wrote something for Duke Divinity School's Faith and Leadership blog. I'm linking them below in case you want to read them. And, google her if you get bored at work; she has written and said a lot. As always, let me know what you think.

The Habit of Practice

Words to Leaders

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2