Thursday, April 05, 2012

Yes, I'm alive!

Sorry, but no birth story to post yet. Cady was on spring break last week, which made for an interesting transition period to say the least. She loves her little brother in theory, but she's not so sure about having to share her Mommy/Daddy/Nonnie/anyone else with him. Combine that with her having a stomach bug and passing said stomach bug on to my mother and, well, let's just say I'm glad that I never have to relive last week.

So I don't have a lovely well thought out post, but I do have a few random thoughts and questions to share. Are you ready?

1. Umbilical cords are gross. I've given the task of cleaning D's cord to Chad. I know it's bad, but it grosses me out. SO very ready for that thing to fall off.
2. Boys pee everywhere. People kept telling me this, but there's really nothing like witnessing it for yourself. I mean, you have to cover that thing up immediately because it has a mind of its own.
3. Breastfeeding is going really well, but I had forgotten how exhausting it is! Also, does another mom want to remind me how long it will be before it doesn't feel like my child is trying to bite my nipple off when he latches on? I mean, seriously. Ouch.
4. Speaking of breastfeeding, I already have about 30 ounces of breastmilk in the freezer. I pumped about FIVE ounces from ONE side the other night. Yep, my child is only 2 weeks old. Apparently my body likes to be an overachiever in the milk-making department. But, I'll take it...even if it means that my boobs feel like big, fat rocks attached to my front at times.
5. At one point immediately following SDE's arrival, I remember telling the nurses/midwife/Chad that they were rockstars. Yeah, apparently I was on a birthing high.
6. So far Davis is a pretty chill baby and I am grateful. I often get a couple of 3-4 hour stretches at night, which is nice. And, Chad and Mom have been letting me sleep in in the mornings until he gets up again so I feel fairly rested despite the middle of the night feedings.
7. My mom leaves tomorrow. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Anyone else want to volunteer to come get up in the middle of the night to change diapers after I feed Davis?
8. I promise I'll post pics of Davis' nursery soon. I still have to pick up a couple of things that Amy was making for me AND I need to get newborn pics on the wall.
9. To whet your appetite for the birth story, here's a teaser: I "clocked in" to the hospital at 10:39 p.m. and Davis was born at 1 a.m. I was only 3 cm dilated when we got there. Yeah, it was fast.
10. Did I mention that umbilical cords (electrical cords, as Cady calls them), gross me out?

4 comments:

Anna said...

2. Weeks. It always took ab 2 weeks for mine to toughen up! You're almost there!

Michele Weigle said...

2. Peepee Teepee - it really works! We've used them for both boys.

3. Luke is 12 weeks, and I think it's been a couple of weeks since I remember things being painful. It took a while. =(

I don't know if this is all babies, just boys, or just my boys, but after the first month both guys were extra sensitive to wet diapers. I swear Luke's favorite place is the changing table. He'll be in full cry and as soon as you pull the diaper tabs, he starts smiling.

If you want to compare notes, I've been posting Luke stuff at http://www.theweigles.com.

Marie Pasco said...

Thanks for posting! I love reading the adventures of the McEggs! Can't wait to meet Davis! I can't wait for the birth story...no pressure;)!

Sarah said...

#2...so true! We've been showered too many times to count. Glad you all are adjusting well to being a family of 4!

Swidget 1.0 2