Sunday, July 20, 2008

Seneca Falls Convention

Since most of you visit our totsite, you already know that this weekend marks the 160th anniversary of the first women's rights convention at Seneca Falls. This convention was largely spearheaded by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott. Let me just take a moment to say that these women were incredible (though Lucretia is quite an unfortunate name :-)). The convention was held at the Wesleyan Chapel in Seneca Falls on July 19-20, 1848 and was attended by approximately 300 people (both women and men).

On the second day of the Convention, they approved a document titled the Declaration of Sentiments, a statement written by Stanton and others and modeled on the Declaration of Independence. One hundred of the Convention's attendees signed the document. If you've never read it, I highly suggest that you read it here. To be honest, I don't think I'd ever read it before, but I'm glad that I've now read it. I find it quite clever on so many levels. Replacing "King George" with "all men" as the oppressor surely ruffled some feathers, but I'm sure it got folks' attention too. Seriously, you should at least skim it. You may be surprised at what you find. Or, if you had Women and Society with CAV, it might just be a refresher course! I think it's important that these women be remembered. They worked so hard to fight the injustices against women that they encountered in their daily lives. Thanks to their commitment, women in the US can vote and go to college and own property...and the list goes on. I'm so thankful for these courageous women (and men) and hope that I can in some small way continue the fight against injustice.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 2